Endpoint Protector Appliance: Stop data theft on Windows and Mac

Law Enforcement Agencies Find New Ways to Fight Cybercrime

February 8th, 2012 by Agent Smith (0) DLP,Research and Studies

Law enforcement agencies worldwide are getting better at catching cybercriminals, scoring some big cybercrime busts and getting better at detecting and investigating data breaches. Officials worldwide detected five times as many breaches in 2011 as in 2010, according to new data in the Trustwave’s 2012 Global Security Report. About 33% of organizations with data breaches discovered the incidents when alerted by law enforcement, up from 7% in 2010. These good results for law enforcement are mostly powered by the work of the U.S. Secret Service, Interpol, the Australian Federal Police, and the U.K.’s Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA).

Only 16% of victim organizations detected hacking incidents on their own in 2011, while the other 84% only discovered them when alerted by outside entities, such as law enforcement, regulatory bodies, or a public venue. When analyzing the circumstances of the hacks discovered by third parties, it’s been discovered attackers had been active within the victim organization’s network for an average of 173.5 days before being detected.

Cybercrime investigators are becoming more proactive in reaching out and collaborating on cases, most of whcih are spread across multiple geographic regions and legal jurisdictions. While a solution to help in standard international cybercrime investigations is yet to be found, there have been several high-profile cases that show ongoing and increasing multinational intelligence-sharing.

INTERPOL has time again stated its support for collaborative cybercrime investigations with police forces worldwide and plans to set up a secure online presence for law enforcement to work together around the world as part of its upcoming INTERPOL Global Complex. The global complex is being developed in Singapore and will be completed and launched in 2014.

Although there has been a noticeable increse in law enforcement officials decisions to reach out to other agencies and collaborate on cybercrime cases, they still face major geopolitical and jurisdictional difficulties in investigating such cases.The good news is that predictions for 2012 forecast even more wins for law enforcement in their fight against cybercrime.

Leave a Reply